Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gardening Grumbling

GRAH!

So, part of buying our house in the city was that we got a double lot- which means we get a nice big green space, and even better: the sellers didn't bother to plant a damn thing other than grass, and there is a GIANT Elm tree in the backyard. When I got my catalog from a mail-order nursery this year, I was crazy excited.

See, the catalog came with a 50% off deal- worth up to $500. I planned on ordering about $300 worth of crap, and only paying $150- plus, free shipping. Well, I was telling my gardening-enthusiast/hippie neighbor about the deal, and asked if she wanted to order with me, so as to also get 50% off of her order. She said she was really interested, and requested to see the catalog.

Now, my stupid/smelly/crazy/hippie neighbor has managed to lose my catalog. I officially hate her. So, I called the company, praying that if I was super nice, they would give me the 50% off deal, especially given that I am referring customers to them.

After waiting on hold for well over 30 minutes, this annoying bitch on the line tells me that they only sent those out to first-time home buyers (because the city's "welcome wagon" sells our data to companies who might profit from our new purchase- like furniture and home-repair people). And, because there was "no way" to track that we had received this catalog, there was no way for us to receive the deal.

I informed the woman that we would not order from their company unless we got the deal, and we would certainly not refer the company to any of our neighbors. I mean- COME ON!

First, lesson learned: never trust anyone who smells of patchouli. NEVER. All of the excessive amounts of pot and/or hallucinogens have managed to rot out the part of their brains that remember where they placed the belongings of others and why it is BEYOND funny that they sit around in Whole Foods and bitch about the local coffee shop chain being "too big" and that it edges out the "mom and pop" coffee shops. Does anyone else see the irony?

Second: you'd think that it would be in the company's best interest to keep a customer- especially one who might create more business through referrals. I mentioned that several of our neighbors might order from their company after they see the quality of the plants that I receive, but without the discount, I would not be ordering said plants. Losing my business makes for a much greater loss.

I'm not sure who should bear the brunt of my wrath: my nonsensical neighbor or contemptible company. I've decided: both.

The best part is the Boyfriend lectured me (like a little girl!) about letting people borrow things because "they always lose or destroy" your property. Harrumph! I hate it when he's right.

1 Comments:

Blogger delmer said...

Your hippie neighbor likely does all of her gardening in the basement under grow lights and, after looking at your catalog and seeing there was nothing for her in it, turned it into a very smart origami project.

(Sorry about the loss.)

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home